Sarson ka Saag is my favorite during this season when winds are chilly and only thinking of hot makke ki roti and saag can make you warm. Dollops of butter and a cup of masala tea adds to the warmth.
Sarson ka saag is invariably cooked with palak (spinach) , bathua and methi too. The ratio is 4:1:1:1 . I made mine with 2:1 Mustard :Spinach only.
Ingredients for saag
- Sarson ka saag(Mustard leaves) : 2 bunches
- Palak saag ( Spinach Leaves ): 1 bunch
- Garlic :6 no cloves( make paste with ginger )
- Ginger : 2 inches
- Green Chilli : 1 long or as per taste
- Onion 1 big finely chopped
- Butter 20 + 30 gms or as per taste and diet 🙂
- Clarified Butter (ghee) 2 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp Jeera for tadka
- 1/8 tsp hing for tadka
- Clean, wash and cut the leaves of both Mustard and Spinach. Pressure cook together with green chilli and half the quantity of onion.
- Once a whistle comes sim the heat and let cook for 20-30 min on low.
- After it is done cool and mash with hand blender or food processor .
- In a heated Kadai (wok ) add ghee and 20 gms butter. Add jeera and hing as tadka.
- Add Onion
- Once onion are translucent ( not brown ) add ginger garlic paste .
- You want then you can add 1/2 tomato here but i did not.
- Once this is all mushy and cooked add Mustard paste to this.
- Add salt and cook on high till the water is reduced and desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve with Makke ki Roti
MAKKE KI ROTI
- Makke ka aata ( maize flour ) ; 2 cups
- ajwain ( carrom seeds ) : 1/4 tsp
- salt 1/8 or 1/4 tsp
- warm water to knead
- Mix atta, ajwain and salt together.
- add warm water slowly and little by little and make a dough.
- Keep aside for 5-10 min.
- Roll either between palms or with the help of plastic sheets.
- roast on tawa and enjoy with butter.